History of bilateral relations
Diplomatic relations between Ukraine and the State of Kuwait were established on April 18, 1993 by signing a protocol during the visit of Ukraine’s government delegation led by Prime Minister Leonid Kuchma to the State of Kuwait.
A number of mutual visits on various levels and the opening of embassies contributed to the development of cooperation between Ukraine and Kuwait.
The main stages of development of relations are: a visit of Deputy Chairman of the Kuwait’s National Assembly S.Al-Fadal to Ukraine in October 1995, during which bilateral inter-parliamentary dialogue was launched; a visit of Ukrainian delegation led by Deputy Foreign Minister of Ukraine V. Yelchenko to Kuwait in May 2001; an official state visit of Foreign Minister of Ukraine Anatoliy Zlenko in January 2002, during which the issues of deepening bilateral cooperation in various fields were discussed and an intergovernmental trade agreement was signed.
The first official visit of President of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma to State of Kuwait on January 19 - 21 2003 was an important event for the raising of the whole complex of bilateral relations between Ukraine and Kuwait to a new level. The main result of this visit was the establishment of bilateral political dialogue on the highest level; identifying of promising areas of cooperation between Ukraine and the State of Kuwait in the political, trade and economic spheres; Kuwait’s confirmation of its readiness to intensify cooperation with Ukraine on the bilateral basis and within international organizations.
Further deepening of bilateral relations was promoted by official visit of Minister for Foreign Affairs of Kuwait to Ukraine in June 2004, as well as visits of Minister of Transport and Communications of Ukraine (November 2007), Minister of Economy of Ukraine (May 2009) and delegation of National Assembly of Kuwait (October 2010).
In response to the invitation of Deputy Prime Minister, Foreign Minister of Kuwait Sheikh Mohammad Al-Sabah there was an official visit of Ukraine's Foreign Minister K.Gryshchenko to Kuwait in January 2011, which gave a new impetus to developing bilateral relations in political and economic spheres.
In December 2013 within the framework of the second sitting of the Intergovernmental Ukrainian-Kuwaiti joint commission on economic, technical and trade cooperation Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine K.Gryshchenko paid a visit to the emirate.
In March 2014 the State of Kuwait voted in favour the United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262 "Territorial integrity of Ukraine". In October 2015 Kuwait supported Ukraine's candidature for non-permanent membership of the UN Security Council.
In November 2016 the 2nd session of bilateral political consultations between the Ministries of foreign affairs of Ukraine and Kuwait was held in Kyiv.
In September 2017, the Kuwaiti delegation headed by Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade of Kuwait Nimr As-Sabah visited Ukraine to attend the 3rd sitting of the Intergovernmental Ukrainian-Kuwaiti joint commission on economic, technical and trade cooperation .
In February 2018 the 3nd session of bilateral political consultations between the Ministries of foreign affairs of Ukraine and Kuwait was held in Kuwait.
Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin took part in the ministerial meeting of Global coalition to defeat ISIS, which took place in Kuwait on February 13, 2018.
The most important event in terms of the resumption of bilateral high-level dialogue between the countries has become the first during the last 15 years visit of the President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko to Kuwait on March 18-19, 2018. During the visit the President Poroshenko met with the Emir, Prime Minister, Speaker of the National Assembly, Minister of Defense and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Kuwait. The parties signed three bilateral documents and agreed to simplify the visa regime between Ukraine and Kuwait.
Visits of Heads of States:
- President of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma (19 - 21 January 2003);
- President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko (18-19 March, 2018).
Visits at the parliamentary level:
- Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly of the State of Kuwait S.Al-Fadalya (October 1995);
- Delegation of Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine headed by D. Tabachnyk (February 2009);
- Delegation of the National Assembly of the State of Kuwait (October 2010);
- Delegation of Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine headed by A.Artemenko (May, 2016);
- Delegation of the National Assembly of the State of Kuwait headed by F.Al-Shaii (July, 2016).
Visits by Heads of Governments and Ministries:
- Prime Minister of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma (April 1993);
- Minister of Defense of Ukraine Y.Marchuk (September 2003);
- Minister of Transport and Communications of Ukraine M.Rudkovskyy (November 2007);
- Minister of Economy of Ukraine B.Danylyshyn (May 2009);
- Minister of Health of the State of Kuwait H.As-Sayyer (January, April 2011);
- Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine K.Gryshchenko (December 2013);
- First Deputy Minister of information policy of Ukraine E.Dzhapparova (October, 2016);
- Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade of Kuwait Nimr As-Sabah (September, 2017);
- Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine Pavlo Rozenko (November 6-8, 2018) .
Visits at the level of representatives of Ministries of Foreign Affairs:
- Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine V.Yelchenko (May 2001);
- Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine A.Zlenko (January 2002);
- Minister for Foreign Affairs of the State of Kuwait, Sheikh Mohammad Sabah Al-Salim Al-Sabah (June 2004);
- Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine K.Gryshchenko (22-24 January 2011);
- Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Y.Mykytenko (February 2011);
- Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine V.Mayko (March 2011);
- Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Kuwait K.Al-Jarallah (November, 2016);
- Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine S.Kyslytsia (February, 2018);
- Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin (12-13 February, 2018).